Sunday, March 10, 2013

You'll Understand When You're Older

   "You'll understand when you're older!" 

   Everybody on the planet has been told that at sometime in their lives. I have no doubt little pygmy children receive this advice from their little pygmy parents. I'm pretty sure every culture that has existed in the past, and all the future cultures to come, will be familiar with this phrase. 

   There don't seem to be any guidelines, as far as having to be a certain age to have people casually offer these five words to you. In lieu of an answer to whatever question you may have posed to them.

   Now, I know I had these words of wisdom bestowed upon me countless times, for questions that I'm sure covered the gamut of possibilities. Although, at this time, I cannot remember even one of them. So how can I be sure that what I was told is true? Do I understand everything now? Of course not. Did I somehow understand something and not notice it? Possibly. Should I have written all my questions down so I could check them off a list as soon as I understood them? Probably.

   You see, that's the problem with having a person that you trust to give you the correct information to a question you submitted, not only refuse you an answer, but then go on to suggest that in the future there will come a point where your question will be answered. So what they're telling you is that an answer exists--they seem to possess that answer--but you, for some unknown reason, are unworthy of receiving it at the present time. But, if you're nice and play your cards right, that answer will be yours down the road. 

   If you find that response unsatisfactory and push the conversation as to why you must wait for your answer, you will ironically receive the same advice. That you will also 'understand that when you're older.'

    Again, there are no guidelines as to what the term "older" refers to. I will be older in 10 seconds than I am now, is that old enough? Do I need to wait until my hair is white and others have to change my diapers for me? 

   I think either people don't know the answers themselves but they don't want you to know that, or they think these questions you're asking aren't worth their time answering. Either way, it seems like an easy way out for them.

    It has taken me years and years of observation to realize what was going on and how this game was played. So, if you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry.

YOU'LL UNDERSTAND WHEN YOU'RE OLDER!

   PLEASE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE



1 comment: