Thursday, March 14, 2013

Believe Me, It's True

   By no means do I claim to be a sage of any type. Nor do I espouse that I possess superior wisdom to that of anybody else on the planet. I'm not aware of having any ESP or mind-reading abilities.

   I do not consort with the Devil. I couldn't read your palm if you paid me. I wouldn't go near a tarot card or crystal ball. Reading tea leaves and entrails are completely beyond my comprehension.

   No, the only thing that in my opinion qualifies me to even suggest anything resembling advise to another human being is that I have survived up to now.

   My still being among the living would most likely surprise more than a couple of the people I've known on this adventure ride we call life, myself included.

    My attitude which governed my actions throughout my time on Earth however, is why I feel qualified to say anything at all.

    I absolutely do not throw stones, for I live in a house made of glass. Any type of advice that I might render comes from first-hand experience with consequences. So, anything you perceive as judgemental on my part, is strictly in your imagination.

   That being said, let me tell you some of my observations. I find a number of human behaviors annoying, as I'm sure we all do. However, there are two that carry the potential to send me to the dark side, where anything resembling empathy disappears and evil thoughts on how I might make this persons life immediately less-than-desirable start to fill my brain.

   One is the lack of ability to accept fault. These individuals have programmed themselves to the point of believing that any negative circumstance in their lives are the result of someone or something causing disruption for them. Leaving themselves blameless of any guilt. They seem to possess the ability to identify the persons responsible for their unfair predicament with ease. As long as none of the guilt is due to their own behavior. Nothing, it seems, is ever their fault.

   The second behavior is much worse.  It encompasses a great deal of any interaction that one might have with others. That ugly monster is inconsideration of others. It has permeated society on all levels and people from every walk of life are potential offenders.

    With varying degrees of ability, peoples inconsideration can go from somewhat rudeness, to out-and-out life-threatening situations. All without the offender so much as giving any thought about how their actions might impact others.

   This type of behavior can be seen in virtually any day to day activity, but is most commonly witnessed in the driving habits of others. where the separation from face-to-face confrontation appears to give them anonymity from their victims

   . Giving consideration to others is the same thing as empathy, an emotion we desire and expect from others. Yet, it is one we so rarely extend to one another.

   This is the " GOLDEN RULE", to treat people the way you would want them to treat you. I attempt to follow that rule, and I will admit that I fail at it regularly. But, I try, and slowly, I find more and more that it becomes habit and that I think about how my actions will impact others around me.

   I am only able to be aware of my behavior because of my past experiences. Both good and bad, and God's grace in giving me the ability to see the rewards that I bestow upon myself by acting with compassion and caring for others. For I have witnessed time after time that some things are truly their own reward. And the blessings you receive back are ten-fold of what you give.

   If you want peace and compassion in your life, I promise you this: you can easily attain it by practicing it upon others. You will realize sooner than you think that you will hear God's words in your heart and you will know peace.

   PLEASE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE

2 comments:

  1. I will be reading this one a few times. Thank you Koolaid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It continues to astound me how the practice of my compassion to others comes full circle back to me, usually when I need it most.

    ReplyDelete