Monday, May 6, 2013

A Letter To My Beloved Family

   I have been blessed in my life with having three great sons, James, Thomas, and Alexander, all of whom I love to no end. And now it appears that two of my sons plan to wed. I am of course overjoyed that they have found someone to share their lives with and bring them happiness.

   Both of my sons fiances, Cassandra and Kelly are very lovely women with the intelligence and wit to keep them on their toes, and the quality of character to be role models for others. As opposed to their mother and my getting married far too young, all three of my boys have been patient in pursuit of their mates, which no doubt will prove a wise decision as they remain together for life with their chosen spouses.

   Although their mother Patty and I were less than a perfect example to them for long term matrimony, all three had the benefit of witnessing a rock solid union between their Uncle Larry and Aunt Dianne.

    After Patty and I divorced, circumstances dictated that the best possible setting in order to minimize the trauma of parents splitting up would be with their Uncle and Aunt, along with their cousins who belonged to Larry and Dianne. Three beautiful and loving girls named Jessica, Amy and Emily. In all the world you could not find a more stable and loving home, and with great love and open arms James, Thomas and Alexander were welcomed into their home and were brought up as though they were their own.

   Although I regret the relationship that I might have had with them, the bonds between us today are strong and secure, and the love between us is as it should be. And the care, devotion, and sacrifices that went into raising them is quite apparent, they are all men anyone would be proud to call their sons.

    To my sister Dianne, my brother-in-law Larry and my nieces: Jessica, Amy and Emily, the words don't exist that could express to you just how much I love you, and how much I will forever be indebted to for your unselfish giving of yourselves.

   I know that I do not deserve such a wonderful family as this, but I sure as hell am glad that I'm part of it. It is with great hope and optimism that I wish my sons the love they've seen possible between a man and a woman, a love that has seen my sister and brother-in-law through 43 years of marriage with no plans on ending in sight.

   While feeling happy for my sons, I can't help but feel a little sorry for myself. It feels like one day we were all sitting by a camp fire listening to the story about the flying cockroaches in Florida being told to us by an elderly man by the name of Norm  from the camp site next door, and then I blinked my eyes and 25 years have gone by.

   For some unknown reason whenever I picture my sons in my imagination, they always appear to me as young boys. And though I call them boys, it is quite obvious to anyone else that they are fully grown men.

   With the full measure of respect and honor they deserve, I am proud to call them my sons, but I will always think of them as my boys.

    And to you James, and to you Thomas, and to you Alexander, you have made my life worth living and I thank God every day for blessing me with you. There isn't a father on this planet who loves his children more than I love you. Thank you for being in my life.

   PLEASE COMMENT AND SUBSCIBE

2 comments:

  1. I have a large diversified family of whom I can honestly say that I wouldn't trade for the world, as a matter of fact I feel sorry for the people who don't have a family like mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dad. I love you too.

    ReplyDelete